Thursday, May 8, 2014

DIY Leather Scarf Cuff



I first discovered this fabulous yet simple scarf accessory on Etsy by a seller named, ThreeBirdNest. She makes and sells beautiful scarfs and accessories. I found myself completely and positively inthralled with a teal scarf that had a leather cuff around. I loved how a piece of leather can make a scarf that's already bold, BOLDER. It's like, literally, an accessory for and accessory and I loved that. The only downfall was my pesky conscious that prevents me from buying anything that I feel is over-priced. I said to myself, "self, you can make that." AND SO I DID, and this is how…


What you'll need:

- 2 strips of Leather trim. I found mine at Michael's for about $3.99 a trim.
- a button 
- a pair of sharp fabric scissors
- an xacto knife (unphotographed)
- a needle
- thread 
- a thimble (unphotographed) 
MAKE IT:


1) First thing you'll want to do is measure a 3-4 inch long strip of leather that's as wide as your button is. Cut that small strip out of one of the leather trims, making a small snip of the corners to make them rounded (thats optional i suppose, but i like the fact that the edges of the are consistant.)

2) On the other larger strip of leather, sew the button in the middle of one end of the strip.




3) Using the xacto knife cut a slit, as the button hole, on the small baby strip of leather. Cut it as long as you need until the button fits into the slit. 


4) Sew the baby piece on the large strip (sew it on the opposite side to the button) I sewed mine so that the two leathers were attached by an "X stitch", just because I knew it could be visible so I want it to look nice. 

5) THEEEENNNNNN….Attach this to any scarf you'd like! I put mine on chunky infinity, knits, etcetera, etcetera, ETCETERA! 




No comments:

Post a Comment